Cheese used: Egg cheese
When you think of cheese, does an image of a piping hot pizza flash across your eyes? Well then, here’s the recipe of the classic Margherita pizza with Egg cheese and basil leaves.
- 1/2 recipe homemade pizza crust
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves roasted garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup your favorite pizza or tomato sauce
- 8 ounces Egg cheese, sliced into 1/2 inch thick pieces
- 2 plum tomatoes, sliced (or any tomato you like)
- handful of fresh basil
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- Prepare the pizza dough through step 11, including preheating the oven to 475F as described in step 8.
- Mix the olive oil and chopped garlic together in a small dish. After waiting 15 minutes as described in step 11, spread olive oil/garlic mixture on top of crust. Top with pizza sauce, then the Egg cheese slices, then the tomato slices.
- Bake for 14-16 minutes or until the crust is lightly browned and the cheese is bubbling. For the last minute, I move the oven rack to the top rack to really brown the edges. That’s optional.
- Remove from the oven and top with fresh basil and pepper. Slice pizza and serve immediately. Store leftover pizza covered tightly in the refrigerator and reheat as you prefer. Baked pizza slices may be frozen up to 1 month.
- Please see homemade pizza crust recipe for how to make ahead and freeze the pizza dough.